In these parts, it’s easy to feel like you’ve stepped onto the set of Cheers. Many a local and weekend warrior participate in various mug club programs at our local watering holes. So, in order of what’s closest to the slopes, here’s how to find your boozy tribe.
This base lodge bar and Best of Bethel stalwart is as close as you can get to a ski-in/ski-out membership, which is why it’s probably so popular. The winter-only Barker Bar Mug Club does have a waitlist, so get your name in stat to enjoy the spring deck scene.
- Members receive 20oz drinks in a special mug for the price of a 16oz drink.
- $75 for new members, including mug and Barker Mug Club hoodie.
- $55 to renew, including a 2016/17 Barker Mug Club t-shirt and last year’s mug to take home.
- $5 from each membership gets donated to the Sunday River Community Fund.
- Entry into three parties throughout the season.
Matterhorn Ski Bar
Seeing as this is where my mug lives, I’m biased, but Matterhorn Ski Bar attracts the masses for its mug club in the winter months.
- $40 gets you a 22oz personal mug that’s good for a beer for $3.75, a mixed drink for the price of a 16oz drink, or a 12 oz pour of wine in an elegant wine club glass.
- 20% off MSB merchandise and a Mug Club t-shirt.
- Free VIP entry into all concerts and live shows.
- A Kick-Back Rewards Card where you earn $25 for every $200 spent, a 1 in 5 chance of winning free swag, and a 1 in 25 chance of winning a free pizza with every swipe.
Sunday River Brewing Company
When someplace is fondly known as the Brew Pub, of course it’s got a mug club.
- $45 per calendar year scores you a 20oz beer for the price of a pint, and $3 beers on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a 20oz Budweiser for $3 anytime, or a 20oz mixed drink for the same price as a 16oz.
- A Sunday River Brewing Company t-shirt to sweeten the deal.
- For $55 (minus $5 if you sign up at the Customer Appreciation Party on December 11, 2016) you get 20oz drafts and drinks for the same price as a pint.
- All members receive an exclusive Rooster logowear item, which is a hunter green hoodie this year.
- On Wednesdays, you’ll receive $1 off all club beverages from 4PM to close in the pub, which falls during half-priced appetizer night too.
Jolly Drayman at the Briar Lea Inn
Transport yourself to the U.K. with this traditional British pub, and in true fashion, you can also get your fill of beer at the Jolly Drayman.
- For $40 per year, you get 40 cents off each drink in a mug to be used only by you.
- You’ll also get a free dessert on your birthday.
As winner of the Best Beer Selection in the Best of Bethel awards, you know that Suds is a beer drinker’s paradise. This mug club is very exclusive, though you may have a chance to get off the waitlist and into the membership ranks.
- This annual club renews at the start of each calendar year.
- First year members pay $70, while returning members pay $40, and all receive $1 off drafts.
For more information on mug clubs, stop into the bar and talk to the very friendly bartenders. Deadlines for some clubs are fast-approaching, and you definitely want to get your mug on for apres-ski and beyond this season.